Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Introduction

I'm intending to use this blog to share some tips and tricks I've learned along the way about managing natural resource research and monitoring data. I've slowly picked up some tricks about using Excel, ArcGIS, Google Earth, and other applications that have made my data management and analysis easier and more efficient. It's less about data analysis (consult a statistician for that) than how to efficiently enter, manipulate, and organize data in a useful way.  By no means am I an expert at any of these applications, but I've gained enough knowledge to use them as tools to do what I need them to. That means I get to spend more time in the field and less behind a desk, right? While this is not the typical "glamorous" part of working as an outdoor professional, I hope this information will be useful for those of us field biologists with "average" computer skills who have to occasionally deal with lots of lines of data.  The "tips and tricks" in this blog pertain specifically to wildlife, range, vegetation, botany, forestry, ecology, and other "-ology" data.  You can use the links, search, archive, and "topic" labels to the left to peruse this blog.  I started taking these notes for my own benefit of remembering new things that I learn, however if you find a use for this information, please enjoy and let me know!




Stuff in the works:

No comments:

Post a Comment